Fat Cat Plankton

Nonsense in extensia

Friday, July 30, 2004

I Walked Home From the TCBY Each Night With No Fear

Quick 'n' Easy Guide to Listening to the Fiery Furnaces' Blueberry Boat

1. Press play

2. Listen for two and a half minutes

3. Press pause

4. Walk the dog, wash the dishes, check your email, dye your hair, volunteer at a soup kitchen, take a trip to the Pottery Barn, send out thank-you cards, make a dentist appointment, register to vote, read TV Guide, chew your fingernails

5. Repeat

Seriously, I don't understand how this album seems so daunting to so many people.

"I don't know where to begin."

"I can't make it through the first song."

"There's just too much going on."

"I've gotten lost and I can't find my way out."

"Send in reinforcements."

"Tell my mother I love her."

Yep, Blueberry Boat will forever be remembered as The Album That Blotted Out The Sun. Or not. Seriously, how hard is it to find something to grab onto here? By my count, there's about two dozen terrifically glittering pop songs spread across 13 tracks, if you listen at random to any point on the album, chances are you're no more than a minute away from hearing something joyous, dizzying, hilarious, endearing, exciting, or just plain rockin'. Admittedly, the opener, "Quay Cur," is a bit of a slow cooker, so maybe that's where the trepidation lies, but do yourself a favor today and spend some time with Blueberry Boat. You'll be glad you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home